Infection Control Policies and Procedures
Policy and Procedures for face-to-face contact: for clients
Retford Physiotherapy and Pilates Practice Limited
t/a Physio Pilates Retford / Pilates Clinic Retford / PCR Physiotherapy / Jo Pritchard’s Neuro Physio Practice
Dental 22 Buildings
Retford Physiotherapy and Pilates Practice Limited; trading as “Physio Pilates Retford”, “Pilates Clinic Retford”, “PCR Physiotherapy” and “Jo Pritchard’s Neuro Physio Practice”, is committed to reducing your risk of infection and this policy relates to our measures to reduce the risk of spreading Covid-19 and any other infectious disease.
We are all very aware about Covid-19 and the constantly changing advice from the government. At Physio Pilates Retford we are very aware of your concerns, and as you know we treat some very vulnerable clients at the clinic. Although most restrictions have now been eased, we plan to maintain our robust infection control policies and procedures indefinitely. Physiotherapy is classified as medical treatment and we have a duty of care for all our clients and must minimise the risk of virus transmission for everyone visiting our clinic.
I have listed below steps we have taken to minimise the risk of infection, risks you must be aware of, and steps YOU must take to be permitted access to the clinic.
STEPS WE HAVE TAKEN / THINGS YOU NEED TO BE AWARE OF:
We continue to follow the advice from the Government, Public Health England (PHE), NHS, Physio First and Chartered Society of Physiotherapy websites.
At the time of updating this policy, wearing PPE is optional, and we continue using a “common sense” approach for social distancing.
- PPE (staff):
- For 1:1 appointments (clinic and home visit) - staff will risk assess and wear PPE if clinically required or if requested by the client – this may include apron, gloves and surgical facemask. Face shields may also be worn. If worn, aprons and gloves will be removed and disposed of after each appointment in adherence with the PHE guidelines. New gloves and aprons will be donned for each new client. Facemasks and face shields will be removed and disposed of at the end of each session (or sooner if required).
- For classes – PPE is not required.
- PPE (client):
- Wearing a facemask is optional for clients during both 1:1 appointments or classes.
- Windows and doors will remain ajar throughout the day to ensure a constant flow of fresh air ventilation in the clinic. Although we can use fans and heaters beside open windows to cool or heat the fresh air, we recommend you dress for your appointment or class in preparation (perhaps additional layers in the winter months).
- Social distancing
- 1:1 appointments: Chairs in treatment rooms are positioned 1m apart for “sensible” social distancing.
- Classes: Classes in the studio are currently limited to a maximum of 8 face-to-face members for “sensible” social distancing.
- Disinfecting equipment:
- 1:1 appointments: Treatment couches and any equipment used will be thoroughly cleaned between each client with disinfectant wipes and/or spray. If pillowcases or towels are used, these will be replaced between each client. All pillows are wipeable.
- Classes: Class members are kindly asked to wipe any clinic equipment used during their class with disinfectant wipes (provided).
- We also have professional cleaners once weekly to thoroughly clean and disinfect all touchpoints, the floor, surfaces, toilet and kitchen.
Procedure for all clients entering the clinic:
- Only clients with pre-booked face-to-face appointments are permitted entrance to the clinic. Drop-in appointment or enquiries are not available at present. Please enquire by email or phone.
- If you have a temperature above 37.8° Celsius, if you have a new persistent cough, or if your sense of smell or taste has changed, please DO NOT ENTER the building unless you have had a negative Covid-19 test. If you attend your treatment session and you present with any of these symptoms, you will be instructed to go home immediately.
- If you have any other infectious disease THAT IS NOT COVID-19
- 1:1 Clients: Please contact the clinic for a remote risk assessment; we may need to wear PPE or rearrange your appointment.
- Class members: We will not be able to permit you to attend face-to-face classes due to the increased risk of virus transmission for other class members. Your live class can still be attended remotely online.
- If a member of your household has had a recent positive Covid-19 test, please ensure you are 1/ symptom free yourself AND 2/ have had a negative lateral flow test on the day of your appointment or class before attending the clinic.
- Waiting area:
- 1:1 Clients: You can wait in our small waiting room. Please press the buzzer so we can open the door to let you in.
- Class members: Please wait at the front of the building; our indoor waiting area is not sufficient for "sensible social distancing" or for the safety of our more vulnerable Physiotherapy clients who may be arriving or leaving at the same time. Your Physiotherapist will come to the carpark and invite you to proceed to the entrance when they are ready to start the class. If you are unable to wait outdoors (regardless of the weather) then unfortunately face-to-face classes are not suitable for you at present. Your live class can still be attended remotely online.
- Hand sanitiser is available at the entrance – this must be used by all staff and clients on arrival and on departure from the clinic.
- We will only check your temperature on arrival if you appear to have a temperature or appear unwell; if you do not consent to this you will be instructed to leave immediately.
- Carers or Relatives:
- 1:1 Clients: A maximum of 1 relative or carer can accompany you to your appointment. Your relative or carer must also be free from any symptoms of Covid-19 or any other contagious disease.
Home visit clients:
- We will phone prior to driving to your home to check if you or anyone in your household has symptoms of Covid-19 or any other infectious disease. Please make sure you have provided the best phone number to call. If you do not answer after the third attempt, we may have to call your emergency contact.
- We will only check your temperature on arrival if you appear to have a temperature or appear unwell; if do not consent to this your therapist will leave immediately.
- We request that 20 minutes prior to your appointment that you open the windows into the room you will be receiving treatment, so the room is well ventilated with fresh air.
- Please note – if you or anyone in your household has a positive Covid-19 test, or if your care home has been closed to visitors, we will NOT be able to visit you for treatment. We do not have the appropriate PPE for known Covid-19, and we cannot risk spreading ANY form of infection further into the community. If you require urgent treatment, please contact NHS 111 and follow their advice.
ALL CLIENTS: *Please note, if your appointment is cancelled because you failed to inform us about your symptoms before arriving at the clinic or your home, you will still be charged for the session.
W/C & Kitchen:
- If you use our toilet, disinfectant wipes and/or spray & blue paper roll is available to wipe down the toilet and flush handle before and/or after use to minimise virus transmission.
- Our kitchen is for staff use only.
OTHER THINGS TO CONSIDER:
What to bring to your appointment or class:
- Please bring your own water bottle. We have bottles of water for sale for 50p if you forget.
- Please keep your shoes and bags with you rather than leaving at the entrance. This is also to remove the tripping hazard for other service users.
- Please bring as much of your own equipment to your class or treatment session as possible.
- All clients – please ensure you bring your own exercise bands and loops; the sanitising spray and wipes makes them very sticky and more perishable, and therefore unsafe to share.
- All clients – you may wish to bring a towel (or similar) to place over the head pads / pillows. Our covers are all wipeable, but they are not breathable. An additional cover will make them more comfortable.
- Class members – you will be asked to disinfect any clinic equipment used during your class before leaving the building (disinfectant wipes or spray and blue paper roll will be provided).
- Class members – please wear socks throughout the class for hygiene and infection control
- 1:1 clients – please bring your own shorts if required for your treatment session.
What if I need equipment during my treatment session that cannot be easily decontaminated?
- All Pilates, balance and Parkinson’s Conquerors equipment is available to purchase for use at home, and then bring to each appointment or class. Most of our own equipment can be decontaminated, some cannot; we will advise on this during your appointment.
- Electrotherapy equipment (TENS and FES): The device can be decontaminated, but we will have to charge for fresh electrodes, foot switches, insoles, and any other accessory that is difficult to decontaminate; we will advise on this during your appointment.
- If a piece of equipment cannot be thoroughly, quickly, and safely cleaned, then it will not be available to integrate into your treatment.
PLEASE NOTE: DESPITE ALL THE INFECTION CONTROL MEASURES WE HAVE TAKEN TO MINIMISE THE RISK OF COVID-19 OR ANY INFECTIOUS DISEASE, THESE RISKS CANNOT BE COMPLETELY ELIMINATED. FACE-TO-FACE APPOINTMENTS AND CLASSES ARE LIKELY TO INVOLVE CLOSE CONTACT IN COMPARISON WITH REMOTE ONLINE SESSIONS, AND THIS POSES A HIGHER RISK OF VIRUS TRANSMISSION.
Changes to our infection control policy
We may update this policy to reflect ongoing changes to the advice published by Public Health England and The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy, our governing body.
We welcome any queries, comments or requests you may have regarding this policy. Please do not hesitate to contact us at the address below.
Any questions regarding this infection control policy should be addressed to:
Retford Physiotherapy and Pilates Practice Limited
Dental 22 Buildings
Covid-19 infection control policy last updated: 21ST February 2023.